Sunday, March 22, 2009

I like and i also hate being Asian.

I like my ethnicity there are things about my family or the culture that i hate though.

Maybe it's just my family, but from stories of other people's families as well, i find Asians to be extremely judgmental. Which is why i've always kept my friends separate from my family.

My Aunt said "Why did you choose such gay (feminine) friends? You should have normal friends."

This is why...i don't like spending time with the family, i'm pretty much a black sheep. And i'm not out to them either. I can't imagine how that would be like.

ANOTHER INCIDENT!

My aunt saw my red gingham print button up in the hamper and asked if it was my shirt.
She asked why i bought it, was it because i thought it looked nice. and then proceeded to ask why i bought a red shirt.

apparently guys aren't suppose to wear red.

she's gonna psychotic and i dont want to hear anything that comes out of her fucking mouth.

2 comments:

J.T. said...

I think Asian families, generally speaking, are very concerned with keeping up appearances and keeping up with the Joneses. But I'm sure there's some of that going on in all families, regardless of culture. And each family has its own idiosyncrasies. You can't let your family overwhelm your sense of individualism. At the same time, I would think twice before burning all bridges with them (even if you feel like you want to.)

You're still young. As you get older, and more established, you will become stronger and more secure. Then it won't matter what your crazy aunt says. Keep remembering to be a patient, gracious person. How you deal with adversity now speaks volumes about the kind of person you will be in the future.

dannie said...

thank you J.T. it's so hard not to let the family overwhelm my sense if individualism, because they're so quick to give me their 2 cents on EVERYTHING. But i understand what you're getting at.